The Australian Museum operates within the NSW Department of Justice. The Museum provides access, engagement and scientific research to increase our understanding of natural history and culture, particularly of the Australasian region. The Australian Museum is the first museum in Australia; founded in 1827 its mission is to inspire exploration, understanding and care for our world. The Australian Museum is at an exciting time in its evolution with transformational development works underway and significant plans for the future expansion of the Museum.
About the role
This is a strategic leadership role that is responsible for leading and managing the Branch that represents, cares for and develops the Museum’s natural science collections, undertaking research on those collections and ensuring effective implementation of the Museum’s Science Strategy. The position reports to the Director Australian Museum Research Institute, Science and Learning.
As the successful candidate, you will demonstrate:
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant field of the natural sciences at the level of PhD or Masters.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in order to deliver the Key Accountabilities and perform to the Focus Capabilities outlined in the Role Description.
- Provides leadership in the natural sciences, through commitment to the Museum's vision and goals and translation of the Museum's agenda into operational plans and ensuring that own behaviour aligns with the Australian Museum’s Code of Conduct, policies and procedures
- Implements plans and strategies that influence internal staff, external stakeholders and organisations and effectively communicate objectives to staff and stakeholders.
- Demonstrates an excellent knowledge of standards, legislation, policies and procedures relevant to the role and uses judgement and complex analysis of organisational issues to reach a solution.
- Communicates work requirements, delegates responsibility, seeks ideas and feedback from staff to encourage a team-based environment and monitors and directs multiple teams performing different functions. Directs others in their research and provides authoritative advice.
- Communicates with other teams and areas to coordinate activities and programs and to ensure accuracy, relevance and appropriateness of information the Museum provides to the public.
- Deliver influential presentations, facilitate audience dialogue, synthesise views and provoke further discussion in the field of natural sciences and as relevant to the Australian Museum Science Strategy.
- Prepare and manage the annual operating budget and monitor expenditure and cash flow for the Branch.
- Identify grant and other external funding opportunities relevant to the work of the branch.